By Bob McGartland
UP, UP AND AWAY!
I’m talking about gas prices. It is summer so naturally they are rising higher and higher. Every year I’m asked for fuel saving tips so here you go!
- Drive the speed limit! I know I’m often amazed that people completely disregard speed limits and still they talk about the importance of “being green.” Every 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is the equivalent of paying about 35-40 cents additional per gallon of gas.
- Drive happy! If you have an aggressive nature that likes to express itself when you turn on your car engine you will pay the price in higher fuel costs.
- Drive light! Using your vehicle for storage can get expensive. For every 100 pounds of extra weight you reduce your miles per gallon by 2 percent. That adds up!
- Drive well oiled! The proper grade of motor oil for your vehicle can improve your gas mileage by 2 percent!
- Drive properly inflated! Under-inflated tires and over-inflated tires cost you in fuel, tires and safety! When it comes to tires you want their inflation to be just right.
- Drive maintained! A well maintained vehicle can save you in many ways, not to mention in fuel costs. A good example of this is a bad oxygen sensor. This can cost you 40 percent in gasoline!
If you haven’t seen your car care provider in a while you are probably paying way more for gasoline than you need to! A properly maintained vehicle saves you money, saves the environment and can save lives! Get it checked out today!